FRIENDS OF JAMAICA POND
36 Perkins St., PO Box 300040, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0030
Gerry Wright, Founder and President
TTY/MA RELAY 800-439-2370
Community Care Institute
Community Caring Institute promotes social justice, conservation
and public health to build up sustainable communities in Boston.
Click on Index Text and Scroll Down Pages to See Details
30th Annual Jamaica Pond
Saturday and Sunday
October 19 and 20
6 PM, FREE
(Rain Date Oct. 26)
Jamaica Pond Boathouse
Jamaicaway and Pond Streets
Save Jamaica Pond’s Watershed
A large 12.5 acres of undeveloped woodlands on Hellenic Hill which overlooks Jamaica Pond was put on sale in January 2011. The big money pressures will be immense to maximize the development of these lands. We respectfully support the conservation and preservation of Jamaica Pond’s watershed.
We petition Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, Massachusetts General Court, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, Boston City Council, and Citizens to purchase these lands and conservation easements to:
- Jamaica Pond has been an important source of water for wildlife and people since the beginning of time.
- Native Americans and people through the ages have enjoyed the beauty of the waters and hill.
- Jamaica Pond was the water reservoir for Boston up to the 1850s and it is still an emergency water source.
- The underground springs have made Jamaica Pond one of the cleanest waters in the entire state.
- Jamaica Pond Park is used daily by thousands of people to revitalize their physical, mental and spiritual health.
- Conserve and Preserve Jamaica Pond’s watershed.
- Ensure the Integrity of the Emerald Necklace parks envisioned by Frederick Law Olmsted as a sanctuary for all the citizens.Sign the Save Jamaica Pond's Watershed Petition Online at
Return completed printed petitions to
Friends of Jamaica Pond, PO Box 300040, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
(click on petition image to view and download larger version for printing)
Media Stories and Background
Jamaica Plain Gazette
JP Observer: Pond view in danger until the public owns it. March 29, 2013 By Sandra Storey
Real estate today: Hellenic Hill preservation efforts continue. March 29, 2013 By Rebeca Oliveira
Hellenic Hill preservation talks begin by David Taber May 13, 2011
Preserving Hellenic Hill letter by Michael Frank, Chairman Jamaica Pond Association
Major developer bids on Hellenic Hill by John Ruch March 4, 2011
Hill preservation possible by David Taber February 18, 2011
Arroyo vows Hellenic Hill land will be preserved by David Taber February 4, 2011
Hellenic Hill land hits market by David Taber January 21, 2011
Jamaica Plain Patch
Perceived Threat to Jamaica Pond Prompts Outpouring
In a public forum to discuss Hellenic College's controversial decision to sell its pond-side land, there was an outcry for public purchase and preservation of the 12.5 acre green space.
By James LaFond-Lewis
Boston Globe Boston.com
Jamaica Plain group asks Orthodox archbishop to save land overlooking Jamaica Pond
By Joseph Leahy, Globe Correspondent
Residents rally to save Jamaica Pond by Patrick Rosso May 12, 2011
Receive our monthly email newsletter of bird walks, wildlife sightings, community events, park stewardship alerts!
"Let it be not for present use and delight alone, but let it be of such a work that our descendants will thank us for it."
Frederick Law Olmsted
Community Arts Advocates
Copyright © 1999-2013 by Stephen Baird