FRIENDS OF JAMAICA POND
36 Perkins St., PO Box 300040, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0030
Gerry Wright, Founder and President
TTY/MA RELAY 800-439-2370
Community Care Institute
Community Caring Institute promotes social justice, conservation
and public health to build up sustainable communities in Boston.
Like our page on FaceBook for updated notices on events and policy issues at
Scroll Down Page for Details
'Let it be not for present use and delight alone, but let it be of such a work that our descendents will thank us for it."
Frederick Law Olmsted
Links and Resources
- Friends of Alewife Reservation (FAR) Fresh Pond Mall, 186 Alewife Brook Parkway, Suite 304, Cambridge, MA 02138 Phone: 617-415-1884 Email: email@example.com FAR works to protect and restore this wild area and the surrounding area for the water quality, native plants, animals and over 90 bird species with paths for walking, running and biking, recreation, and for classroom education and research. We regularly steward and preserve the Reservation area for wildlife and for the enjoyment of present and future generations.
- American-Russian Forestry Association, a program of the New Horizon Project, in collaboration with the New England Governors Confrence and Institutions in the Tomsk Region of Siberia, Russia. Contact: Gerry Wright, Executive Vice-President, 238 Main Street, Suite 401, Kendall Square Station, Cambridge, MA 02142-0003 Telephone 617-524-7070 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rainforest Alliance, 665 Broadway, Suite 500, New York, NY 10012 Telephone 212-677-1900 Email email@example.com TREES Headquarters, 65 Millet Street, Suite 201, Richmond Vermont 05477 USA Richard Z. Donovan, Rainforest Alliance Chief of Forestry Tel: 802-434-5491, Fax: 802-434-3116 Email: TREES@ra.org
- Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, international journal on urban forestry research published in English edited by department staff of the Danish Centre for Forest, Landscape and Planning (Forest & Landscape Denmark in brief) at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University (KVL)
- National Park reading on the design of the Emerald Necklace
- The Boston Environmental Network is a group of public and private sector organizations and professionals in the environmental education, park stewardship, youth development and job training fields that aim to increase green youth employment and environmental educational opportunities both in school settings and in Out of School Time. As a network we work to connect young people to both short-term environmental learning experiences and long-term environmental careers. Points of connection include network meetings, professional development, youth events, this website, and numerous collaborations. Dawn Chavez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Emerald Necklace Conservancy, 125 The Fenway. Boston, MA 02115 Tel: 617-522-2700
- City of Boston Park Rangers' Nature Center at Jamaica Pond
- Courageous Sailing Center, Jamaica Pond, Charlesstown and UMASS sites; Jamaica Pond 10 AM-6 PM Seven days a week April-Oct, Row Boats $10 hour, Sail Boats $15 hour, Lessons $45, Info: 617-522-5061
- The Massachusetts Urban and Community Forestry Program, MA Dept of Conservation & Recreation, 251 Causeway Street., Ste. 700, Boston, MA 02114-2104, Eric Seaborn, Urban Forestry Coordinator, Telephone: 617-626-1468 Email: Eric.Seaborn@state.ma.us
- Assists communities and nonprofit groups in protecting, growing, and managing community trees and forest ecosystems, with the ultimate aim of improving the environment and enhancing livability of all of Massachusetts' communities. We provide grants, technical assistance, training, and recognition awards to communities of all sizes throughout Massachusetts. The program also provides guidance on urban forestry policy issues at the state level.
- Mass. Department of Conservation and Recreation's Forest Stewardship for Watershed Health Grants http://www.mass.gov/dcr/stewardship/forestry/urban/urbanGrants.htm The DCR's Urban and Community Forestry Program is offering grants to support planning and education projects that "Promote Community Forest Stewardship for Watershed Health." Matching grants of up to $5,000 will be awarded to successful municipalities, planning agencies, watershed associations, and other non-profits. Up to $30,000 is available through this program. Download the application at the link above or contact Eric Seaborn for more info.
- Jamaica Plain Historical Society, PO Box 302924, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 Contact: Michael Reiskind, 617-522-1150 or Dave Nathan 617-522-2209 Web site has articles and pictures on history of Jamaica Plain. The Quiz is also fun. Conducts a series of walking tours
- http://www.jphs.org/locales/2004/4/1/jamaica-pond.html articles and pictures on history of Jamaica Pond by Nancy Graves Cabot.
- Franklin Park Coalition, PO Box 302333, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 Telephone (617) 442-4141 email@example.com
- Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, 125 Arborway. Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-3500 Telephone: 617.524.1718 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arnold Arboretum bird list by Robert Mayer
- Arboretum Park Conservancy, 3 Post Office Square, 3rd Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02110 Tel. 617.542.8552 Fax. 617.542.8157 NBrown@brownrowe.com
- Blue Hills Reservation - 6,000-acre state park south of Boston. Managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation Web sites have trail maps.
- Friends of the Blue Hills, PO Box 416, Milton, MA 02186 | (781) 828-1805 | info@FriendsoftheBlueHills.org
- http://friendsofthebluehills.org/ Founded 1979
White Tail Deer Fawn, Oak and Pine woods trail, Great Spangled Fritillary Butterfly, Lake Ponkapoag bog
(Click on images for larger versions)
- Muddy River Restoration Project
- Arborway Coalition
- The Boston Harbor Islands, 34-islands included in the National Park Area.
- Boston Harbor Association, 374 Congress Street, Suite 307, Boston, MA 02210 Tel: 617-482-1722 (P) - 617-482-9750 (F) email@example.com
- Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands, 349 Lincoln St. #45 Hingham, MA 02043-1601 Tel: 781-740-4290 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boston Natural Areas Network, 62 Summer St. 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02110-10016 Telephone: 617-542-7696
- Boston Nature Center, Massachusetts Audubon Society, 500 Walk Hill St., Mattapan, MA 02126 Telephone 617-983-8500
- Charles River Conservancy, EF Center Boston, One Education Street, Cambridge MA 02141 Phone (617) 619-2850 Email: email@example.com
- Charles River Watershed Association, 190 Park Road, Weston, MA 02493 Telephone: 781-788-0007 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friends of the Public Garden
- Fenway Victory Gardens, P.O. Box 230038, Astor Station, Boston, MA 02123
- Fenway Civic Association, Box 230435, Astor Station, Boston, MA 02123 Telephone: 617-278-4341 Email: FenwayCivic@aol.com
- Forest Hills Educational Trust, 95 Forest Hills Ave., Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, Cecily Miller, Director, 617-524-0128
- Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site, 99 Warren Street, Brookline, MA 02445 Telephone: 617-566-1689. Open Wednesday through Sunday. Public tours are offered Wednesday through Friday, at 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, and 3:00 pm, with an additional 5:00 pm tour offered on Thursday. Saturday and Sunday, tours are offered hourly starting at 10:00 am, with the final tour at 4:00 pm. No reservations are required, and admission to Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site is free.
- Massachusetts Audubon Society
- To submit bird sightings call (781)259-2150
- Middlesex Fells - Located in portions of Malden, Medford, Winchester, Stoneham, and Melrose, the 2,575-acre Middlesex Fells Reservation is one of the first reservations created by the Metropolitan Parks Commission. Designed by the firm of Olmsted, Olmsted, and Eliot, the preserve conserves an area containing woods, wetlands and watersheds for public use. Lots of hiking and biking trails, Spot Pond has boating.Web sites have maps.
Neponset River Watershed Association, 2173 Washington Street, Canton, MA 02021. Tel: 781-575-0354 Fax: 781-575-997 email@example.com http://www.neponset.org Neponset River Greenway, Greenway Council MassBike Representative: Doug Mink email firstname.lastname@example.org Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition, 20 Park Plaza, Suite 528, Boston, Mass. 02116 phone: 617-542-BIKE (2453) | fax: 617-542-6755 http://www.massbike.org/bikeways/neponset/ Neponset River Greenway, Boston Natural Areas Network, 62 Summer Street, Boston, MA 02110-1016,(ph) 617-542-7696 - (fax) 617-542-0383 email@example.com http://www.bostonnatural.org/neponset.php Riverways Program, Department of Fish & Game, 251 Causeway St., Suite 400, Boston, MA 02114 (617) 626-1540 (main line), (617) 626-1505 (fax) http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/river/ The Brookline Bird Club http://massbird.org/bbc/ Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences, 81 Stage Road, P.O. Box 1770, Manomet, MA 02345 Tel: 508.224.6521 Has extensive 40 years plus bird banding information and international bird habitat conservation work. http://www.manomet.org Massbird.Org, web site for Massachusetts birding, sponsored by Bird Observer, the New England Birding Journal. http://massbird.org/ Updated web site sighting list: http://www.massbird.org/sightings/index.htm
Mount Auburn Cemetery Bird List http://massbird.org/LocalLists/MtAuburn.htm New England Wild Flower Society at Garden in the Woods,180 Hemenway Road, Framingham, MA 01701 Telephone: 508-877-7630 -- TTY: 508-877-6553 Promoting conservation of North American native plants through education, research, horticulture, habitat preservation, and advocacy. http://www.newfs.org/ http://www.newfs.org/conserve/invasive.htm Web page on invasive plant species
OF JAMAICA POND
36 Perkins St., PO Box 300040
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0030
Gerry Wright, Founder and President
TTY/MA RELAY 800-439-2370
36 Perkins St., PO Box 300040
1999-2014 by Stephen Baird, Community Arts Advocates, Inc.